Monday, November 10, 2014

#371


Today I had a lunch at this Chinese restaurant where beside eating delicious food you can bet on horse races that are shown on a television. Next to our table there was a group of yuppie assholes, totally unreal idiots who proved me again: I don’t like people.

I have a real job now which is weird because it consumes a lot of my time. Which is a hard task for me since I’m terrible with time. There are so many things I want to do and maybe I could do them if I were able to nail my ass on a chair and could stop spending hours on playing windows solitaire game. On the bright side I’ve started reading a lot because I travel a lot. I have fallen in love with Master and Margarita. I have a really damaged idea of how the world is and in this picture I have always counted Russia to be one of the most fucked up places on earth. And here is this book that it’s not only good but it could make the whole planet a bit more worthwhile. Bulgakow worked on it for more than a decade, filled with doubts during the communist regime in the gate of the second world war and still it is so perfect, so great, it reads like it was written in a laboratory of one’s brain in the calmest room. I can’t do anything else but respect everyone who is fighting back and creating something that is not just great but makes this whole planet a bit more better. This book born from desperation and has become one of the best books of literature. This inspires me to care about the things I want to do and not about the things that surrounds me and want to hijack my attention from my beloved free time activities.
Sometimes I wonder if literature world works like music – meaning the treasure is always hidden and it belongs to a secret, outcasted club. But maybe it’s more fair because the proclaimed greatest books most of the times are truly great. Although I want to read something that reads as Urinals sounds. Guess this is where fanzines come into the game.
I hate people because they fuck up places, I hate to play along with the whole nonsense we call society and normal life. I don’t want to run free like a wild dog, bark on the moon and urinate wherever I want. I just want to do things that are backed up with an answer to the simplest question: why?
It seems like great things are rooted in the frustration of not finding an answer to why must most of the things have to happen in the most fucked up way. For me the two better ways to cope with this confusion is either to be fucking angry or as stoic as I could be able to laugh at all the irrelevant bullshit that is eating up a major part of my time; and thinking like life is whatever we make it to be. Life is spent preciously if you either want to destroy the world or make it to be a big joke. These two approaches to life is what interest me, this is the element I want to find in other people’s self expression.
Lately I’m going through the history of mediterranean hardcore punk and I’ve started wondering to the territories of Yugoslavian punk, while I started to re-listen to my local heritage and begin to appreciate terribly recorded demos of Hungarian punk bands. It’s not easy to listen to something when you are aware of the present state of some of the members of these bands.
Punks tend to go crazy after they disband their youth groups and they become norms. I guess it’s universal because the great interview with the singer of
Pekinška Patka few years ago in MRR demonstrated how old punks who lose contact with contemporary punk also lose their link to reality. On the other hand it’s true that these bands have recreated something most of them only read about but this proves that the teenage angst is as universal as burning out after your mid 20s. But luckily not all of these fellows had lame bands who were playing punk rock that was more like dude rock that later turned into dad rock. Everyone who reunited and still playing 40 minutes sets at huge festivals suck. Let it be Kud Idijoti or Toy Dolls or Fear. Punk doesn’t have to be constant. Bands could break up and keep their dignity when they lose their flame to keep their fame. Punk is about youth if that dies in you, no problem old folk, leave and the last one will switch off the lights.
The records stay to be forever fresh for those who think they still could be angry even in their 30s. There were crazy people everywhere trying to play as fast as they can and sound as fucked up as it is possible. I talk about whole scenes now not bands because nowadays I love the quantity of this sound not the specific makers of it. But KZV, Giuseppe Carabino, KBO!, S.O.R. and other bands from the Krdo Slonova Tape are just as great as the damaged Cleveland paranoid hardcore bands from the There Is More comp.
I love compilation hardcore when tapes and record of various bands define a sound and a moment of a scene. International hardcore is important if you care about hearing interesting and real things.
I have stumbled into Constant Mongrels who continue to keep the quality of Australian punk high. Spent this week with listening to weird aussie home recordings but this band goes along the path where Eddy Current Suppression Ring had succeeded playing lazy sounding post punk through filth filled garage lands without being pretentious. They are great, and this record sounds fun. Bit of Mekons and Fall on ecstasy. Not too bleak or desolated I can hear there is a sun that shines on them. It’s more like the melancholy of empty spaces that was been shown by the setting sun at the end of forever summer. Not as proto sounding as Life Stinks but if you like to wear plain colored shirts and skateboard in a suite like pants then Constant Mongrels could be your jams.
More post jamming, God and the State is some 100 Flowers / Urinals related band with a perfected estranged sound that includes guitars that is moving around like a vicious snake is crawling around it’s scared victim. No funk, no heavy bass it’s all guitar and sorrow singing. High tension and creative depression of people who think. After all they named themselves from Bakunin’s work. Would be a great travelling music if you wonder through your hometown or about to lose yourself in a new city.
I can’t get enough of the Vixens lp since it is a perfect hardcore punk record with noise, anger and craziness. It’s not that they wanna sound weird or mutant. It’s like they don’t care about anything and anyone since they are here to make a big holy noise.
Have I said how great the White Wards lp is? It’s so fucking great. That lp has anything that was ever great in hardcore. Almost everything but you forget about anything else when you are listening to them.
Another treasure I have found is The Kick from Switzerland. Can’t get enough of that Hot Love scene. The Kick is some dreamland punk band with a singer who is angry and depressed. Guitars are speared out like a curtain of sound in a storm, layering another dimension of bedroom sorrow and creating chances to dance. It gives me a kick for real I love Chin Chin but this is much more unique. How the fuck could Switzerland be this good in playing punk? I love how personal those bands are but after all the swiss could fuck themselves. Women was able to vote there only in the 70s. That happened like 40 years ago. This means people there were so fucking stupid even 40 years ago. Their dads were a bunch of fucking assholes who thought making a decision and caring about politics is chained to their dicks. Another thing that is not backed with an answer why?
Fuck humanity!


No comments: